CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Moment to Sit Back and Smile At

Being a mother is all about those tiny teaching moments. I absolutely love the moments when I have the opportunity, out of the blue, to pass along some pearl of wisdom that I have gathered along my journey to my wonderful children. The only thing I love more, is witnessing an older sibling passing a pearl of wisdom to a younger sibling.
Tonight I had the pleasure of enjoying one of those moments. Jake was up later than normal, because he was working with his Dad on some service (helping a neighbor lay some sod). As we were in the kitchen enjoying a late-night popsicle, Brinley came down the stairs and offered to pay Jake one dollar for a bite of his popsicle. Jake looked at her and said, "Brinley, would you like to buy an Areal toy?" To which she answered "yes". He then explained to her that in order to do that, she would have to save her money. He said plainly, "Do you know how much money I have?"
"No..."
"I have $37, and do you know how I got that much money?"
"No..."
"I saved it. Even when I really wanted to buy something, I thought about getting my DS and I had to decide if I really wanted to spend my money on that thing."
"Oh", replied Brinley.
"Now, do you really want to pay me a dollar for a bite of my popsicle?"
"YES!"
Well, the transaction never did take place, but I had to sit back and smile. He is learning to be so responsible with his money and trying to pass this skill on to his younger siblings. We have pretty much outlawed the idea of a DS at this point, but he is trying so hard... What would you do?

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I love moments like that. I think it's hilarious Brinley still wanted to buy a bite of the popsicle even after the pep talk. Way to go Jake on saving up for your own toys. What a responsible little man.

Unknown said...

Great post. DS or no DS is tough. I see the dilemma. Ben has an xbox which is probably the bad influence here. My only thought is if you let him buy it, you have to let him know there will be strict rules on when he can use it.